I have tried and failed to duplicate that French vinaigrette – the real kind, the Paris kind – for years now. When we went to Paris in July, I made it my mission to figure it out. Every place we went that served something with the right flavor, I asked them what was in it. Vinegar and olive oil were usually the response, until one waitress hooked me up. This. This is the one.
- 1 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped shallot
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp. good whole-grain dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. fresh black pepper
- 1/4 c. EVOO
1.Combine vinegars with the shallot and garlic. Let sit for 15 minutes – this mellows the flavors and sweetens it, somehow? It’s awesome.
2. After 15 minutes, whisk in the mustard and the salt and pepper.
3. Whisking constantly, drizzle in the EVOO until combined.
4. Taste and season. Serve with just about anything.