My mom had a pretty rough time throughout December, so before I went away for Christmas, my parents, my sister and I all made a Saturday afternoon lunch and just hung out for a while. My mom’s a vegetarian, and we all needed some comfort food, so this pasta and artichokes in a creamy tomato sauce was perfect. Everything tastes better when you eat it with your family. <3
CREAMY TOMATO PASTA WITH ARTICHOKES (4 servings)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, sliced pretty thinly
- 1/2 vidalia onion, diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1 14-oz can chunky crushed tomatoes
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- 1/2 c. white wine
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- freshly grated parmesan (about 1/3 C., plus more for topping)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 lb. linguini
1. Melt the butter and EVOO over medium heat. Add the chopped shallots and onion, cook until translucent, approx. 5-7 minutes.
2. Add the wine, stir everything together and keep stirring sporadically until the alcohol has burned off.
3. Add the artichokes (drained).
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and let them cook a bit until their skins are looser.
5. Add the can of chunky crushed tomatoes, then the cream, stir everything together.
6. Get your pasta water up to boiling, then cook your pasta. Reserve about a cup of the pasta water before draining.
7. Stir in the handful of chopped parsley, about 1/3 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese, then taste and season as needed. Thin with the pasta water if needed.
8. Add the pasta to the saucepan, combine everything so the pasta is evenly coated.
9. Serve and enjoy (my mom got the “You’re the Best” plate, of course).