Ugh, I swear this is how French women stay skinny. I crave vegetables in France. There’s just something simple and indulgent about how they’re cooked and presented, and my very favorites are haricots verts, or French green beans. They’re basically American green beans, but super skinny (very French). This is a super simple, incredible tasty side that I could have with almost every meal I make. Enjoy.
FRENCH GREEN BEANS WITH TOASTED ALMONDS (serves 3-4 as a side)
- 1 Lb. haricots verts (you can usually find these in grocery stores like Whole Foods, Wegman’s or Central Market, they’ll be labeled “French green beans.”)
- 2 Tbsp. walnut oil
- Heavy pinch fleur de sel
- Fresh-cracke black pepper
- 1/4 c. blanched and slivered almonds (you can find these in a bag in the grocery store, you don’t have to do this yourself).
- Heat walnut oil in a nonstick skillet over a little more than medium heat.
- Add green beans and a heavy pinch fleur de sel. Stir and cook for about three minutes.
- Cover most of the pan with a lid and cook for 6 more minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small pan over medium, then add walnuts and toast, shaking the pan frequently and watching closely so the almonds don’t burn. This should take about 5 minutes. Remove from heat when golden brown.
- Add salt and pepper to haricots verts to taste, then top with toasted almonds. Serve and enjoy. J’adore les haricots verts!