My parents were hosting a brunch the day after the stateside celebration of my cousin EM and Kristina’s wedding, and my mom was all, “Just bring something over that everyone will like. Brunch starts at 11.” So, since A. I planned on being mildly hungover B. I love sleep, especially on the weekends, more than anything, and C. I still wanted to make something good, I started searching for make-ahead brunch meals that I could put together the night before and just throw it into the oven the next morning. When I found Smitten Kitchen’s “boozy baked french toast,” the words read like a song. This was the one. I love Smitten Kitchen, and I love anything that tastes this good with minimal effort, and I especially love the post-event rehash with some of my favorite trash-talkers (my family).
If you’re looking to throw together something that requires little effort the day before, but is hands-down amazing – and also may or may not soak up your New Year’s hangover – this french toast is here to save the day.
BUTTERSCOTCH BAKED FRENCH TOAST (serves 6, generously – barely adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
- 1 loaf Challah bread – try to get this if you can, the eggs used in it makes this bread perfect
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tablespoons Butterscotch Schnapps
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Grease a large baking dish with butter.
2. Cut challah into 1-inch slices, then arrange in two tightly-packed layers. Break off parts of the bread to fill in any empty spaces. The layers should be about an inch below the top of the dish.
3. Whisk together milk, eggs, sugar, salt, butterscotch schnapps and vanilla into kind of a custard, then pour over the bread, making sure to cover it all with the mixture.
4. Generously sprinkle cinnamon and sugar.
5. Cover in saran wrap, then refrigerate overnight – the mixture will soak into the bread during this time.
6. Preheat the oven to 425, then bake for 30 minutes until puffy and golden.
7. Top with maple syrup and serve at a great brunch with your family – this is basically a bread pudding disguised as french toast, so it’s amazing.
Omg, did you see the dress she was wearing last night???