This is kind of my (Irish) dad’s go-to pasta. It’s made with stuff you probably already have in your fridge or cupboards, it totally filling and delicious, and feels a little indulgent given the fact that you use a full can of artichoke hearts. God, I love artichoke hearts. I would put them in just about everything I make. Plus: an excuse to eat pasta. <3
PASTA WITH ARTICHOKES, SHALLOTS & SHIITAKES (SERVES 4-6)
– 1 tbsp. butter
– 1 tbsp. EVOO
– kosher salt & fresh cracked black pepper to taste
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 3-4 large shallots, chopped into ribbons
– 1/4 c. red wine
– 1 15 oz. can artichoke hearts, quartered, drained
– approx. 1.5 C. of shiitake mushrooms, cut into long strips
– 1 & 1/4 – 1/2 C. marinara sauce (your choice of brand)
– 1/4 C. freshly grated parm (plus more for topping)
– approx. 2 tbsp. julienned basil
1. Over medium heat, melt the butter and the EVOO together. Add the minced garlic and stir until fragrant, approx. 60 seconds.
2. Add the sliced shallots, cook until wilted (approx. 5 minutes)
3. Add the artichoke hearts, add salt & pepper, and cook another 5 minutes or until everything seems to soften, not stick, to the bottom of the pan. Add the sliced shiitakes.
4. Add 1/4 C. red wine, stir everything together. Let cook approx 5 minutes – you really want to let the alcohol burn off.
5. Pour in the tomato sauce, mix everything together really well, and lower heat to medium low.
6. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add pasta and cook according to directions. Drain, but don’t rinse! Set aside.
7. Taste sauce, then add the parm cheese. Taste again, then season as needed. Add the basil, stir to combine.
8. Dump the pasta into the saucepan with the sauce, mix everything up really well. Top with another little bit of parm and enjoy!
And also. Welcome to the family, Murray! Colly got the cutest dog this week! As anyone who knows me can tell you, this addition has been in the works since my junior year of high school. But that’s a story for another time. :]