This is what happens when you make things with what you already have in your fridge/freezer. Grapefruit? Check. A huge pot of basil? Check. Vodka? Check, obvs. Also limes, which have thankgodfully stopped selling for $1 apiece. This was seriously delicious, and refreshing, and had the added bonus of allowing me to trick myself into thinking that I was detoxing, because everybody knows that grapefruit is clearly a diet food.
GRAPEFRUIT-BASIL VODKA GIMLET (makes 1 smallish mason jar full)
– 2 shots vodka
– 1/2 a ruby red grapefruit, juiced
– Couple of basil leaves, chiffonaded
– Juice of 1/2 a lime
– Splash or two of tonic water
1. In a mason jar, add ice, then vodka.
2. Squeeze half a ruby red grapefruit into the glass, then use a citrus reamer to get the rest of the juice.
3. Juice the lime and add the tonic water.
4. Chiffonade some fresh basil, then stir. Taste and adjust as needed. Oh – hello, summer.