Texas is good at a lot of things, but they miss the mark on anything buffalo (wings, hoagies, bites, etc.). I’ve really been missing that food since we moved here, and finally came up with a recipe that solves my cravings, sneaks in some veggies and can even be made gluten-free. It’s awesome and one of my go-to’s when I need some comfort food.
BUFFALO CHICKEN MEATLOAF (serves 3-4)
- 1 Lb. ground chicken
- 1/3 c. blue cheese dressing, plus more for dipping
- 4 Tbsp. Frank’s Red Hot (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 3 scallions (whites and greens)
- 1 large stalk celery, diced (plus more stalks for serving on the side)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 c. almond meal (or flour if you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine all ingredients except for the blue cheese and Frank’s Red Hot.
- Form into a meatloaf shape, place into a lightly greased pan.
- Combine blue cheese & Frank’s Red Hot, pour over the meatloaf to coat.
5. Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes, carefully pouring off the runoff after about 25 minutes.
6. Let rest for about 5 minutes, them slice and serve with a drizzle of blue cheese and fresh-cut celery sticks.
I’m finally back after nine days of one of the best vacations of my life. This is the second summer in a row that I’ve gone up to Cape Cod, and I hope that this is the beginning of an awesome summer pattern. It is so unbelievably gorgeous up there, so relaxing and just so charming. Here’s what I did for the past week and a half:
– Read 3 different books and 1 new screenplay
– Ate some of the best food I’ve ever had and did not cook a single thing
– Went bike riding, much to Brendan’s delight
– Saw JAWS on the Cape but didn’t see any sharks in real life, luckily
– Had at least one lobster roll a day
– Averaged 13,000 steps until my goddamn fitbit battery ran out of juice (obsessed)
– Slept until about 10am most mornings
– Spent EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. on the spectacular beaches of Chatham
– Got to have some serious quality time with my mom, dad, little sister, boyfriend and family friends – and what’s better than that? I love you guys – thanks for a wonderful vacation!!
Finally at the beach!
The incomparable hydrangeas that populate the Cape, and our first lobster roll of the trip at the Squire
Family dinner at Pisces, which was beyond delicious and really cute too.
One of my favorite parts about our relationship is how easily we can make each other laugh (even when one of us is brushing their teeth)
Mom and Dad on the beach
Probably my favorite dinner of the trip at Del Mar, where I had stuffed zucchini blossoms, about half of Brendan’s mushroom tart, local Cod and this incredible blueberry pie
My mom (waving from the door) is the cutest
Sunsets on the beach
Brendan’s first time seeing Jaws, ever!! No better place to do it than 20 miles away from where it was filmed.
An entire cooler of whoopie pies (and the most amazing breakfast burritos ever) at The Corner Store
Fresh pasta, The Prisoner wine and hilarious conversation with the world’s greatest parents at Buca’s
A lunch at the Wild Goose Inn that still makes me full just thinking about it – incredible
Amazing dinners and late night dance parties
Beach reading and cocktail hours with Dad
See you next summer!
Brad and I just got back from a week in Hilton Head with my mom and dad, and we had a blast. My parents drove down, and B and I flew to meet them, so we had dinner the first night at The Olde Pink House in Savannah, Georgia. I am obsessed with the architecture in Savannah – it’s just such a cool, beautiful little city.
I forgot about Southern Cooking, though. At dinner I ordered what I thought was a simple southern fish dinner. This is what they brought out:
omg. I had two bites and then looked at Brad all, “I’m sorry. I just can’t.” Luckily, he is more adventurous than I am, and so we swapped dinners. His duck crepes were delicious!
We had a great time in Hilton Head. Lots of golfing, bike rides, late dinners and cocktails on the patio. It was gorgeous weather the entire time, and I got to spend some serious QT with three of my most favorite people in the world. How do you do better than that??
My parents, who are the cutest. Don’t let my mom’s diminutive size fool you. Apparently she’s a ringer (and a serious trash-talker, at that) when it comes to the game cornhole, who knew!
|Hilton Head Island
|No trip would be complete for BAF without some lox.
|Fried Green Tomato “BLT”