These were the first thing Brendan ever made me, and they’re one of my very favorites. Meatballs are one of the best foods ever, but these are vegetarian, and they honestly stand up to the real thing. Plus, anytime I get Bren in the kitchen is a done deal. He’s an awesome cook.
MUSHROOM “MEATBALLS” (makes about 20 – recipe via allrecipes.com)
- 1 lb. white mushrooms, finely chopped
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 c. yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 C. quick-cook oats
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C. bread crumbs
- 1/4 C. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. EVOO
1. Finely chop mushrooms, then heat the 1 tbsp. EVOO in a large skillet over medium. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt, cook and stir until the liquid has evaporated.
2. Add butter to the mushrooms, cook until golden brown.
3. Add onion to the mushroom mixture and cook until it’s translucent, approx. 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, add garlic and stir approx. 90 seconds. Add mixture to a mixing bowl.
5. Mix in the oats, approx. 1/3 C. parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley and, when the mixture is cool, 1 egg. Add the salt pepper, cayenne pepper and oregano, then mix until combined. Stir in the other egg.
6. Heat oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then roll the mixture into little meatballs.
7. Bake for approx. 15 minutes or until mushrooms are golden brown. Eat alone or over pasta – these are the bomb.