You guys, I think this might be my new favorite breakfast. Poaching eggs is apparently the easiest thing in the world and they look so impressive. Take some avocados, smoked salmon, and the The Best Dressing Ever for a little heat, put them on whole-wheat English Muffins, and you have an unbelievably delicious, healthy-ish, completely filling breakfast that – honestly – puts just about every weekend brunch you could pay for to shame. Brendan and I had these for breakfast this morning, and both of us were taking our sweet time finishing them because we didn’t want to get to that last bite. SO GOOD.
CALIFORNIA EGGS BENEDICT (serves 2)
– 4 fresh eggs
– 3/4 avocado, sliced
– 4 oz. smoke salmon
– 2 whole wheat English Muffins
– a little bit of butter
– a little bit of kosher salt (optional)
– The Best Dressing Ever
1. In a smaller sauce pot, heat about 6 inches of water over medium high heat. The temperature here is key – you want it to be bubbling but not boiling. Add a little white wine vinegar and a little kosher salt.
2. Crack 1 egg into a concave ramekin. If the yolk breaks, toss it and start again.
3. When the water is ready, swirl it with a spatula into a little tornado of water. Gently spill the egg from the ramekin into the “eye” of the tornado.
4. Let the egg cook for approximately 3-4 minutes. You want the egg yolk to be a little bit set but mostly runny, not firm. When yolk is ready, remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel. Repeat with the other 3 eggs, one at a time.
5. Meanwhile, slice the avocados and get out the smoked salmon.
6. When you add the last egg to the poaching pot, lightly toast the English Muffins. When toasted, add a little butter to melt.
7. Remove the last egg from the water, turn off the stove, but leave the water on the stove.
8. Have your super talented boyfriend get out his bad-ass camera to take the following pictures.
9. Top English Muffins with smoked salmon and avocado slices.
10. To reheat the first few eggs, add them back to the poaching pot for a minute to reheat in the warm water. Remove and drain.
11. Top smoked salmon and avocado slices with poached eggs.
12. Get out the Best Dressing Ever, and drizzle over the eggs.
13. Top with a sprinkle of Kosher salt (optional).
14. Cut into the middle of the yolk so it spills over the English Muffins. Brace yourself for enjoying one of the best breakfasts you’ll ever have.