This recipe was the first thing I ever found on Pinterest, and I was hooked from that point forward. Summertime means lots of salads, but this is one of my very favorites. It makes a bunch, so throw it together and bring over to a friend’s house.  Especially if that friend has a pool.

SUMMER SALAD – CORN, AVOCADO, TOMATO, FETA, CUCUMBER & RED ONION WITH A CILANTRO VINAIGRETTE (serves 6-8) – adapted almost exactly from authenticsuburbangourmet.com

– 4 ears corn, cooked
– 2 avocados, diced
– 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved (I use orange & red for a little color)
– 1/2 an english cucumber, finely diced, skin on
– 1/3  C. crumbled feta
– 1/2 red onion, finely diced

Cilantro Vinaigrette
– 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
– 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
– 1/2 tsp. salt or Herbamare
– 1 tsp. garlic powder
– 1/2 freshly ground black pepper
– 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
– 6 tbsp. EVOO

1. Cook your corn – there are a ton of ways to do this, but the easiest is just to put the oven on 350, and throw the corn in, husks and all. Bake them for 25 minutes, let it cool, and then cut off the very bottom of the corn. You should be able to easily pull off the husks and the silk.

2. Cut off the kernels with a large knife (I love this one, it’s inexpensive and it holds up well), add to a big bowl.

3. Chop the avocados, cherry tomatoes, english cucumber, and red onion, then add to the bowl. Add the feta.

4. For the vinaigrette, combine the first 5 ingredients (so the seasonings react with the vinegar), then add the cilantro and the EVOO. Shake it up.

5. Gently mix all the salad ingredients together. When ready to serve, add the dressing and stir to combine.

— I’ve really been working on staying present lately, and focusing on all the amazing things and people in my life. Days like this, it’s easy.  I love my friends.

29 thoughts on “Summer Salad – Corn, Avocado, Tomato, Feta, Cucumber & Red Onion with a Cilantro Vinaigrette

1. Kris

Hello – I found this recipe on Pinterest and made it for dinner tonight. Absolutely delicious! Very light and the flavor combination is terrific. I actually added quinoa for additional protein and it worked well. Will definitely make this again. Thanks!

2. cwyounts

In my opinion, red wine vinegar can usually be used as a sub for white wine vinegar. The flavor is not that significantly different (I don’t notice it in most recipes.) Some people just prefer white because it doesn’t add unwanted color to the dish or salad. I used red wine vinegar tonight and it was just fine!

3. Westyn Layne

Hi CaseyLynn – like cwyounts said, red wine should work. Or, if you want a little more citrus, you can sub 1 tbsp. white wine for 1 tbsp. lime juice. Or just double up on the rice wine for 2 tbsps. total. Glad you guys are enjoying this!

4. Westyn Layne

I’ve never used a store-bought dressing for this salad, so I don’t have any suggestions, but I would really recommend making the dressing yourself if you can. Dressings are super simple to make, and have been a game-changer for me with salads and marinades. Whatever dressing you end up using, though, I’d add a handful of chopped cilantro to it.

5. Lisa Levine Adler

I just made this for a summer bbq – added chopped romaine and doubled the dressing recipe – i took a quick taste and YUM! Queso Fresco might work in place of feta to make it super southwest flavored. Thanks for sharing!!

6. Anonymous

I tried this salad at the bigging of summer and I have made it no less that 10 times. I love it. It’s great with scoops.

7. Westyn Layne

So glad you hear you’ve all liked it so much – this is a summer staple for me, too. Not sure about serving size per person, but 1 C sounds about right. Happy end of summer, everyone!

8. Beerhat

WOW! This is really an amazing and attractive post about fine recipe of salad. I appreciate your posted wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing such an interesting post.

9. Lauryn

This was fantastic! The perfect summer veggie salad. I was nervous about the cilantro vinaigrette because cilantro has never been my favorite, but oh my goodness, was this dish fantastic! This will be a staple at all my future barbecues and summer get-together’s.

1. westyn Post author

Hi Lauryn – thanks for the comment! So glad you loved it. It’s a staple at my BBQs, too!