This recipe was one of Brad’s best finds. He says he made it because of one specific line in the recipe he read online: “This broccoli is better than a steak”. It’s kind of unbelievable how roasting veggies makes them completely different, and broccoli is no exception. Add some lemon, parmesan cheese, and toasted pine nuts, and this side could stand on its own (although sometimes nothing can substitute for a steak). It’s delicious and looks like you put a lot of effort into it, but is quickly thrown together while you’re making an entree.
BEST BROCCOLI EVER (serves 4 or so – copied almost exactly from The Amateur Gourmet)
– 3 medium heads broccoli
– 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
– 5 glugs EVOO
– 1/2 of 1 lemon (zest and juice)
– 1/4 C. freshly grated parmesan cheese
– 1 tbsp. julienned basil
– 3 garlic cloves, sliced
1. Heat the oven to 425.
2. Cut broccoli heads into medium size florets, wash and dry thoroughly.
3. Toss broccoli florets and sliced garlic cloves with 4 of the 5 glugs of EVOO, and kosher salt and pepper (approx. 1 tsp. of each). Arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes, or until some edges are brown.
4. Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts (if using) and set aside.
5. When broccoli is roasted, remove from oven, zest the lemon half over the broccoli, then squeeze the juice of the lemon over it as well. Add toasted pine nuts, parm cheese, basil, and another glug of olive oil, and stir to combine.
6. Serve and enjoy – we had this alongside portabella mushroom “pizzas” for a healthy, carb-free, and delicious dinner.